The Technical and Economic Council of the National Administration of Penitentiaries approved the Technical Project on the investment objective “Detention Pavilion + Greenhouse – at Craiova Prison, Ișalnița outer ward Romania”, a study which was carried out by the designer S.C. Expert Project Team S.R.L..
The configuration of the space will allow the accommodation of 84 inmates, ensuring all the spaces provided by the legislation in force, as well as the construction of a greenhouse of 150 sqm that will facilitate the qualification of inmates in the profession of greengrocer and that will give them the opportunity to carry out daily lucrative activities.
The value of the investment is 1.065.361,88 euros and the planned construction activities will take place over a period of 24 months.
The investment is provided within the project “Improving correctional services in Romania by implementing the principle of normality – 4NORM-ality”, funded by the Norwegian Financial Mechanism 2014-2021, the program “Justice”, implemented by the National Administration of Penitentiaries, as project promoter, and Craiova Prison, as one of the project partners.
Project title: 4NORM-ality
Improving the Correctional Services in Romania by Implementing the Normality Principle.
Financing program: Norwegian Financial Mechanism 2014-2021, Justice Programme
Budget: 5.000.000 Euro
Project implementation period: 23.07.2019 – 23.07.2023
Project Promotor: National Administration of Penitentiaries
- KRUS Academy – Norway
- Hedmark Prison – Norway
- Craiova Prison
- Ploiești Prison
- Constanța-Poarta Albă Prison
- National School for Training Prison Agents (in Târgu Ocna)
- National Probation Directorate
The project’s objective is to improve the execution of criminal penalties in penitentiaries by applying the principle of normality.
- Developing and implementing an accountability program for inmates addressing the Roma ethnics and other categories of inmates with risk of exclusion and training the prison police officers regarding its application in order to improve the educational process of detainees;
- Establishing a structure for studies, analysis and research within the Romanian prison system and developing a similar structure at the level of National Probation Directorate.
- 240 new accommodation places built in the outer sections of Ișalnița (Craiova Prison), Moara Nouă (Ploiești Prison) and Valu lui Traian (Constanța-Poarta Albă Prison) in order to improve the detention conditions addressing the Roma ethnics and other categories of inmates with risk of exclusion involved in the accountability program in accordance with Council of Europe’s standards.